Highlights of Laos 5 days
Set out on an enthralling 5-day voyage starting from the enchanting city of Luang Prabang and concluding in the vibrant capital, Vientiane. This thoughtfully crafted itinerary provides a thorough exploration of the region's cultural and natural wonders. It's a well-structured program intended to enable you to discover the country's key landmarks, such as the remarkable cultural and historical monuments found in Luang Prabang and Vientiane.
- Explore Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Luang Prabang city tour with temples and local culture.
- Discover Pak Ou Caves along the Mekong River.
- Visit Kuang Si Waterfalls with turquoise pools.
Upon arrival in Luang Prabang, the ancient capital of the Lanxang kingdom, you will receive a warm welcome from the local French-speaking guide. Afterward, you will check in at the hotel (with rooms available from 2:00 p.m.).
Your first day in the city will include visits to:
- The Royal Palace Museum, constructed in 1904 during the French colonial era for King Sisavang Vong and his family.
- Wat Mai Temple, renowned for its exquisite golden bas-reliefs and considered one of the city's most beautiful temples.
- A climb to the top of Mount Phousi for a delightful exploration of the sacred and golden stupa, offering panoramic sunset views of the city and the Mekong River.
- In the late afternoon, you will participate in a Baci ceremony with a local family. The Baci ceremony is a traditional Laotian ritual that symbolizes the spirituality of the country and provides participants with a deep understanding of Lao culture.
- The day will conclude with dinner at a local family's home.
You will return to the town for the night in Luang Prabang.
Spend the day exploring Luang Prabang, the former imperial city.
Begin with a walking tour through less-visited areas, showcasing traditional charm and UNESCO-listed architectural diversity:
- Explore traditional Laotian houses crafted from bamboo or hardwood, raised on stilts.
- Discover half-wood, half-cement houses built during the French colonial period.
- Admire French colonial buildings reminiscent of those found in Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Visit old Chinese stores designed for both commerce and residence.
In the afternoon, visit Wat Sene, the oldest temple, and the impressive Wat Xiengthong, showcasing classic Laotian architectural styles.
Explore the Royal Palace Museum, home to a collection of intriguing artifacts.
Visit Wat Mai, one of Luang Prabang's largest and most ornate temples.
Conclude your day by ascending Mount Phousi for a tranquil exploration of the sacred stupa and a panoramic view of the sunset over the Mekong River.
Overnight in Luang Prabang.
Option: Take a walk or bike ride through the city to observe the unique Laotian tradition of offering alms to monks on the roadside. Laos is the only Buddhist nation to preserve this ritual. Afterward, make a brief visit to the local morning market near the Royal Palace. At the market, you can find a variety of products, from rice and fresh vegetables to steamed fish, frogs, and the day's catch, all laid out on the ground – this is an integral part of the daily life of local people and provides a genuine taste of local culture.
Following breakfast, embark on a leisurely cruise upstream along the Mekong River, offering picturesque views of the tranquil countryside.
Arrive at the enigmatic Pak Ou Caves, a 16th-century cave monastery filled with thousands of Buddha images, situated 25 kilometers north of Luang Prabang within the limestone cliffs overlooking the Mekong.
Return to Luang Prabang, with a stop along the way at Ban Muang Keo, a village renowned for its traditional Lao rice whiskey distillation.
Next, visit Ban Xangkhong, the village of the Thai Lue people, known for their arts and crafts. You will also explore the neighboring village of Ban Xienglek, where traditional Saa paper is produced.
Overnight in Luang Prabang.
As the sun rises, participate in Laos' sacred morning alms giving, a tradition dating back to the 14th century. Following breakfast, climb 329 steps to the summit of Phousi Hill for a panoramic view of the city and the Mekong River.
Then, head to the stunning Kuang Si waterfall, the largest in Luang Prabang, with the option to visit Ban Thapene village nearby. On the return journey, make a brief stop at the Ock Pop Tock Living Craft Center, situated serenely by the Mekong and known for its excellent sunset views in Luang Prabang. Later, transfer to the train station for a journey to Vientiane (18:26-20:30).
Today is dedicated to exploring Vientiane's most remarkable cultural and historical sites:
- Pha That Luang - a symbol of Buddhism and Laos' sovereignty, and one of the country's most sacred monuments.
- Haw Phra Kaew - a former royal temple dating back to the Lane Xang kingdom, now transformed into a national museum of sacred art.
- Vat Sisaket - known as the 'Buddha Museum,' it is the city's oldest temple and houses over ten thousand Buddha statues.
- Patuxai - an Asian triumphal arch.
- Buddha Park - a captivating collection of Buddhist and Hindu sculptures on the Mekong River meadow.
After the visits, it's time to head to the airport for your departure.
More tour ideas
A week in Laos: Exploring serene Southeast Asian country
Explore the picturesque landscapes and cultural wonders of Laos on our 7-day journey. Discover the serene beauty of Luang Prabang, from its historic city to breathtaking waterfalls. Immerse yourself in adventure with kayaking and spelunking in Vang Vieng, then travel to the charming capital city of Vientiane. An unforgettable week awaits in Southeast Asia.
Laos with Family 12 Days
Embark on a 12-day family trip to the land of elephants, an exquisite destination for you and your loved ones to explore the authentic beauty of ancient Indochina. Your journey through Laos will feature child-friendly activities, ensuring quality family time.
- Accommodation for the entire circuit, in hotels or with locals
- Travel according to the program by private car
- English-speaking guide for the visits mentioned in the program
- All activities mentioned in the program, including entrance fees to tourist sites
- Economy class domestic flights with airport taxes included
- Meals mentioned in the program
- Bottle of water during guided tours (2 x 500ml/traveler/day)
- Government taxes currently in force (VAT, etc.)
- International flights from your home
- Visa fees, payable directly at the airport customs (see VISA)
- Bank fees related to payment
- Personal insurance
- Personal beverages during meals: beer, Coca-Cola, fruit juice, etc.
- Other meals not specified in the program
- SIM card and mobile plans
- Tips, personal expenses, and other services not mentioned in the "Our Included Services" section
Our Happy Customers
September 21, 2023 - Following our trip to Vietnam, we would like to express our gratitude for the exceptional service provided by your agency. Every aspect of our journey was flawless.
We wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to our guides and drivers, who played a pivotal role in making our trip a resounding success. Beginning with Hieu and Cuong in the northern region, Duong in Halong Bay, Dao and Hieu in Dong Hoi, and finally Duc and Oyi in Hue, each of them left a lasting impression.
We want to particularly acknowledge Hieu, who adeptly adjusted our itinerary to align with our ever-evolving preferences, and Cuong, whom we fondly dubbed 'the man who arrives right on time' because he always seemed to be there even before we needed him..
August 28, 2023 - Hello, it is us who thank you for the fantastic journey we experienced, one that exceeded all of our expectations. I have nothing to criticize about the organization, which was impeccable. The guides were excellent and delightful, as were the drivers. We were warmly received in every hotel without exception and taken care of, leaving us with no worries for the rest of the time! All the hotels were chosen with discernment and surpassed our expectations.
Our gratitude extends to the entire team! You can count on me to spread the word about your services.
The BROSSY family
On behalf of the entire family, I would like to express our gratitude for the organization of our trip to Vietnam. We were warmly welcomed everywhere we went and had three wonderful weeks.
The hotels were excellent, especially the Kiman Hotel in Hoi An with its very friendly staff and bicycles available (very convenient for getting to the beach), the hotel in Mui Ne (a beautiful and well-maintained setting), and the bungalow in Pu Long (a beautiful pool with a splendid view of the rice fields). We also greatly enjoyed our stay with Mr. Ti, where we made wonderful connections and had a fantastic evening over a delicious meal.
Regarding transportation, our taxis were very spacious, comfortable, and always punctual, making our journeys enjoyable and relaxing. Thanks to our drivers who adapted the program to our wishes (lunch breaks, beach stops). A tip for the case you host other Swiss travelers (who don't often have the opportunity to see the sea!): plan for a 1-
The GAUTIER family
Thanks to Découverte Vietnam agency for this wonderful trip. The agency organized an excellent 14-day tour for us, from Halong Bay to the Mekong Delta, at our own pace, as a family. Unforgettable moments (from July 21st to August 4th, 2023).
Special thanks to Thom for perfectly organizing this tour down to the smallest details, which went smoothly. Communication through email and WhatsApp was very easy with immediate responses, creating complete trust.
The NOLLIER family
August 17, 2023 - Hello Thanh LE, our stay is coming to an end, and here we are in Mui Ne at a superb hotel for relaxation. It has been a wonderful time, a journey through time from north to south, accompanied by three guides we already miss. We had grown fond of them; they provided guidance and demonstrated remarkable human and professional qualities. Thank you for selecting them for us. They allowed us to get as close as possible to the local population and to experience moments we will never forget. They enriched us with their knowledge of Vietnamese culture, regardless of the region, and did so with humor, joy, kindness, and exceptional proficiency in French. We also want to acknowledge the drivers, especially during the nine days with Dac in the north, despite the language barrier.
Return to the roots of My Linh & Guy (Guadeloupe) and Christine & Thành (Belgium)
June 8, 2023 - Thank you, Chau Thom, for everything. Vietnam Discovery organized an excellent trip for us in Vietnam and Cambodia. It was a return to our roots for my sister (My-Linh) and me (Thành), as well as a discovery of our home country for my brother-in-law (Guy) and my wife (Christine).
Everything went perfectly from the first contact with the agency, whether by email or directly through WhatsApp. Thom, our contact, took care of our adventure down to the smallest details, and everything proceeded in excellent conditions.
Mrs. Martine Vanderbeck and her son
May 13, 2023 - We had a wonderful journey that will leave us with marvelous memories, both my son and I (it was his 30th birthday gift!)... and this was all thanks to you for taking care of the logistics. I want to point out that the choice of hotels was perfect, as were the guides (Duc in Vietnam and Moni in Cambodia) and the drivers who went out of their way to make us happy, not to mention the tours, which were 'must-see' given the limited time we had on site![see more]
Most frequently asked questions
1. What is the 'customized travel' option?
It is a formula in which your journey is designed according to your preferences for dates, duration of stay, services, while taking into account your interests and budget. A local advisor assists you in the trip's preparation and in its execution on-site (transportation, visits, accommodation, etc.). You benefit from an organized trip, tailored to your desires and constraints down to the smallest details.
2. How can I book my trip?
3. What is the price of the trip?
4. What are the dishes to try during the trip?
5. What type of vehicle is planned for my trip?
6. Can I make changes to the itinerary?
7. How can I make payments on-site? Which currencies are accepted?
- Tour: Highlights of Laos 5 days
- Duration: 5 days, 4 nights
- Type: The Essentials
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or provide us with details about your project. Our advisor will contact you shortly.
Our information and quotes are completely free!
If you are unable to submit this form, please contact us directly at :